Perfect Baked Chicken!
This scrumptious recipe has been passed down from Monie Raye, to my mom, to me. I have to say, unless someone has told me to keep something a secret, I believe in sharing any good recipe I have. What’s the deal with people wanting to keep recipes secret anyway? It’s not like they’re going to patent it. If someone wants a recipe to make their family dinner just share the darn thing. Whew. Rant over. Back to the deliciousness.
- whole young chicken (I like the Publix Greenwise)
- one apple (I like the Gala, but any apple will do)
- one yellow onion
- a stalk of celery
- one tbsp butter
- a lemon quarter (if you don’t like lemon- skip this, it will still be really good!)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Halve onion and apple and stuff it into the chicken along with the celery.
- Squeeze lemon over the chicken, then add salt and pepper.
- Place butter on top of the chicken.
- Bake for TWO HOURS (no more, no less.)
Mix the au jous with flour to make chicken gravy, and serve with rice and lima beans. A perfect Sunday dinner. Enjoy!
If you don’t have much prep time (but still have the bake time- NEVER rush that) just wash the apple and stuff it in the chicken, add salt, pepper and butter (you could even skip the butter), set the oven to 325 and cook an extra ten minutes to account for the preheat time. It will still be pretty darn good.